It is probably safe to say that bacon, ham and even pork rinds have never been considered “healthy” foods to consume. Pork, by the nature of the meat, tends to be much fattier than other counterparts like beef, chicken, and turkey. From this aspect alone, pork has rarely been recommended as a part of a health-conscious diet, but there are ways to incorporate it into meals that make it a healthy addition. Pork broth offers several health benefits while minimizing the natural unhealthy components of pork.
Check out these great, tasty health benefits of including pork broth into your diet.
- Heart Health – pork has notoriously been known for its high-fat content and aids in the promotion of cholesterol; both dangerous aspects for heart health. However, health scientists recently began recommending that trimmed pork be added into our diets. Trimmed pork used in broth has significantly less fat content, is rich in monosaturated fatty acids and conjugated linolenic acids.
- Protein – this one is obvious, but pork has a very high protein content. Protein is essential for all basic cellular functions. If you’re an active individual, protein is especially important for building muscle and recovering from activities.
- Calcium – traditional pork broth is made by roasting and cooking the bones in a water solution for a long time. This process extracts the flavor from the bones as well as the minerals. Calcium is essential to our overall health and impacts everything from your bones/teeth to muscle contraction and nerve function.
- Diabetes – it is recommended that a diet that is high in protein and low in carbohydrates is beneficial for helping to control blood sugar levels. Recent studies have found that diabetic individuals who included pork or pork based foods in their diet, as well as moderate daily exercise, were very successful in keeping their blood sugar levels under control.
- Taste – while this may not be a “true” health benefit, your taste buds won’t argue. Pork broth (when done correctly) has a rich, chicken-like flavor that compliments a wide variety of ingredients.
It’s clear to see that pork broth (and even pork) can be a very beneficial addition to a healthy diet. If you’re looking to experience some of the best pork broth around, head to the Noodle Bar for some amazing food in downtown Phoenix. Our Hakata ramen features our house-made Tonkotsu broth that will show you just how pork broth is meant to be. Check out our full menu of uniquely crafted noodle dishes at www.noodlebarphx.com/ramen-phoenix-az/ and visit the Noodle Bar, one of the newest additions to downtown Phoenix’s restaurant scene.