As your favorite Japanese restaurant Phoenix, we know the perils of craving our cuisine and being after hours or unable to come in and dine. Sometimes there is no substitute for a Japanese dish and to prepare such a craft at home can be a squeeze if the right ingredients aren’t immediately available.
We’ve taken it upon ourselves to arm with you the list of all ingredients with which your cabinets be stocked in order to accommodate any last minute or spur of the moment Japanese cooking. Take a look and see what you have, and whatever’s missing… go and buy it!
Essential Japanese Cooking Ingredients:
- Bonito flakes (stock ingredient plus great condiment)
- Dark sesame oil
- Dried shiitake mushrooms
- Fresh ginger (none of that powdered nonsense)
- Fresh Leeks
- Fresh spring or green onions
- Fresh white daikon radish (this can help absorb some of those overly oily ingredients, get chopped up on salads or get cooked up in soups and stews – so versatile)
- Green tea leaves
- Japanese soy sauce (it matters!)
- Konbu seaweed
- Medium grain rice: white or brown
- Potato starch flour
- Rice vinegar
- Sake (not just for drinking, who would have thought?)
- Sesame seeds
- White Miso
- White wheat flour
- Worcestershire sauce
The list could go on with many ingredients that are extremely tasty and unmatched, but not so essential that you can’t get on without them in meal prep.
For some delicious dishes check out our menu at Noodle Bar PHX, one of the best Japanese restaurants in downtown Phoenix. Come dine with our friendly staff and chefs; you are in for a delight!